New scheme: the TSM 2 Disenchant search shuffle

04 Jan

TSM_Shopping comes with a function called ‘Disenchant search’. What is it, and does it have any potential?

About a week before christmas i was fiddling around with TSM 2, basically concluded that I had learned enough to completely reset the addon to get rid of any possible remnant non-optimized settings of my early days. Upon completion, I realized I’ve never seen the ‘Disenchant search‘ before. I remember trying it in Auctioneer, but with no particular success. I decided to give it a go in TSM.


The Disenchant search in TSM 2

The first thought I had was about the valuation of these hits. What decides the value of the potential outcome of this? I assume it’s linked to my price setting strings somehow, but I neither sell nor buy old enchantingmats in any significant volume – so I have no idea how easy these things are to get sold, let alone dumped!

What price Disenchant search should use – is up to you. You can change this in tooltip options, first page:


Select DE price source

The downer here is that TSM doesn’t let you use one of your own custom price settings as disenchant valuation, but you do get to choose from all the built-in ones. While this lets you choose the source, it doesn’t let you set a cap. That is done in operations -> shopping, like this:


Set a cap for disenchant search

It’s not very streamlined, this process, with the options spread around a bit. I have now set my disenchant search cap to 90% of the DE value, but I had it on 100% the first two weeks just to get more items and get more data.

The first week I regularly did 2 searches and bought all the hits. I did a search with AuctionDB – Market Value, and one with AuctionDB – Minimum Buyout as valuation sources. This gave me hits that could give me instant profits, and profits over time as price trends back to its market value. That was the thought anyway. Now that I have been doing this a few weeks I exclusively use the Average Sell Price as my data point, since the important part is to get rid of this stuff quickly – or it will clog you up pretty fast.

So, with all that taken care of, a DE search looks something like this:


Disenchant search results

You can mouseover the items to look at their tooltips to see how the disenchant value is calculated. You will notice a pattern;

  • Usually the blue outcome (some shard) is worthless, but it has a very low proc %. This is the reason for almost exclusively green items in the list.
  • Either the dust or the essence of that tier of enchantingmats holds a strong price. This makes a lot of the items a bit of a lottery. 75% chance for dusts, which are valuable – 25% chance for essences, which are close to worthless, or vice versa.
  • The calculation does not account for the Bountiful Bags guild perk – which adds a 20% profit potential to the whole process.

As this was a project, I just bought all hits uncritically – and proceeded to disenchant them. Now how would I keep all this bundled up nice and tidy accounting-wise? The setup looks pretty much like this.


The whole operation

I’ve made a root group called ‘Shit for Disenchanting‘, or actually I had that group forever – but it’s not very much activity in it (I rarely craft greenies on anyone, except JC shuffle). When I loot the mailbox, i add all the trash greens i bought from AH to this group. Very important to check the ‘Ignore random enchants on ungrouped items‘ when doing this, to keep micromanaging to a minimum.

When they are added to the group, I proceed to disenchant them. I use TSM_Destroying for this, as you can see top right in the picture.  You get all kinds of stuff from this. I sort all the different materials in sub-groups.

  • All current-expansion materials is in a completely different group up in ‘Profs‘, so they will not affect the profits and losses of this project. And, since JC shuffle-jewellery is in this group – but they are never bought and has no expense (accounting-wise), they do not affect it either.
  • All lesser essences in one group without auctioning operations. I don’t want to sell lessers, I just want to hold on to them on my janitor until i can combine and sell as greater. There is sometime profit to be made on the Greater/Lesser arbitrage – but I am not ready to tackle that level of micromanagement yet.
  • All dusts are placed in one group. This is one of my later additions, but I need to have 20×20 auctioning operations on them first – as opposed to 5×1, 5×2, 5×3, 20×1, and then 20×20, as I have on essences. The amount of expired mails after you accumulated a few thousand dusts were not sustainable – so I post dusts in 20×20 stacks first. This helped dramatically.
  • Mats for old enchants contains some particular mats that I may choose to keep and make scrolls from instead. I currently use this for TBC mats to make Mongoose and Executioner.
  • Since the mats for those scrolls comes from this DE shuffle, I included the group ‘Oldschool Enchants‘ to get Mongoose and Executioner-sales to show up as profit from THIS activity.
  • Lastly, a group called worthless. This contains all the blue shards that sell for 7 silver etc. Those are not worth the time it takes to collect expired mail, so they got no operations other then a warehouse-operation to dump then in my bank. From there they get deleted when they exceed 1 stack (they don’t even have a vendor sell value!)

This setup keeps the entire operation under 1 roof for auditing. The character in charge of liquidating these materials is of course the Janitor.

I have now been doing this actively for about 14 days. Let’s look at the results:


The Disenchant search shuffle audit

Looking as this last week, where the process definately were more streamlined than the first week, there is sales for 26k, and purchases for 13k. I can’t really look at the 30 day column and get any useful data – since I’ve only been doing this for 2 weeks.

In addition to this, I’ve accumulated enough TBC mats to create:


Expensive, but not exactly a hot seller


1 sale of 733g looks good, but still a little slow

I have no idea how easy these are to sell, so maybe this is a dead end. Greater Planar Essences and Arcane Dust sells really well – so I will not be making more of these if they prove to be unsellabe. I peaked at 2400g/day when I sold these as materials as opposed to scrolls.


The beauty of this operation is that once set up, it’s something you can do with whatever spare minutes you have. Waiting for a raid that’s almost full? Do a DE search. In LFR-queue on an alt and can’t relog? Do a DE search. Quick cup of coffee before leaving for work? Read the online newspaper AND do a DE search.

The disenchanting itself isn’t nescessary quick, but those items will wait for you in the mailbox. It’s the shopping part that’s most important to try to do regularly – so you can shave off those cheap items.

The Bountiful Bags guild perk has the potential of boosting this scheme up to 20%. Buying an item for 2g, and disenchantproccing 4x Greater Eternal Essences worth 50g a piece is a strong return.

I will be using this as a filler activity, getting 1900g/day for something this braindead is totally ok. I now only shop with the Average Sell Value as my value – since it reflects what I am actually able to liquidate it for.


Posted by on 04/01/2014 in Enchanting, Niches



3 responses to “New scheme: the TSM 2 Disenchant search shuffle

  1. jakobud

    15/04/2014 at 21:57

    Wish you talked more in detail about the items in your sub groups and how you setup your operations.

  2. lemi

    26/11/2015 at 11:27

    hello, could you please share how did you set auctioning prices please?


Reply to this nonsense

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: