Part 13: Relationships
It took me a long while before I saw the point of using relationships. However, the other day I decided to do a small change in the formula for minimum price in my janitors trash-can auctioning operations – only to rediscover that I got 5 operations for that, not 1- and they all use the same formula .. :C
And 6 for gems, 5 for enchanting materials, 3 for drums, 3 for potions.. all of them are exact copies of eachother, the only difference being stack size and post cap. >_<
This is where we use relationships to streamline. Meet my .MAIN operations.
The .MAIN name is to get the operation at the top of my list, nothing else. In these operations I define everything that all of the groups should have in common, which is mostly everything except post cap and stack size.
Now I want to brute-force these changes over on the different related groups. With the .MAIN groups now at the top of my list, i make sure all their slaves have their name in [brackets] for the opposite effect, bottom of the list!
Now I go to the sub-operations that all should inherit the .MAIN operation parameters. I go to relationships-tab, and as Target Operation you choose the corresponding .MAIN operation – in the case in the picture above, that would be the .MAIN [Enchantmats]. Press Set all relationships to target. This groups is now 100% dependent on getting all its parameters from its .MAIN, which means a 100% clone. That’s not what we wanted.
Now, just below, deselect relationships on Post Cap and Stack Size. Repeat this process for all the sub-operations. Now you got a bunch of almost-clones, with their own settings for post cap and stack size.
After doing this process, you cycle through all your new sub-operations and adjust post cap and stack size to the appropriate amounts. They will have gotten reset during this procedure (the short window they were 100% clones).
Now, if you need to change your minimum price of gems – you only have to adjust the .MAIN-operation, and all the others will follow suit.
PS: Note that you can unlink other parameters as well, not just post cap and stack size. Experiment.